This recipe isn't part of my series, I just wanted to share it with you.
Don't mind my blurry image of my cupcakes...I'm slowly learning how to use the manual focus on my digital camera.
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
1 1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup oil
1 tbsp vinegar*
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup cold water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with cups and set aside. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add the oil, vinegar, vanilla, and cold water and stir together carefully until just mixed. Spoon evenly into cupcake cups, filling until each cup is about half full. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
Chocolate Frosting
2-3 cups powdered sugar (depending on the texture you prefer)
1/2 cup vegan margarine (Earth Balance is best)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp soy milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
Whip margarine until smooth and fluffy. Add cocoa powder and powdered sugar. While this is blending together, add soy milk, vanilla, and pinch of sugar. Whip until smooth and creamy.
For these cupcakes, I took three peppermint Bob's Sweet Stripes sticks and smashed them until chunky, then sprinkled them on top of the frosted cupcakes.
*I know what you're probably thinking...vinegar in cupcakes, SICK! The vinegar is used in this recipe to help the cupcakes rise and you can't taste it in the finished product. Just think of it as a cheaper, healthier way to bake.

4 comments:
Hey, are these the cupcakes you left me to make? They sure look fancy, and probably taste delicious! When are you coming up? I don't know if we'll have much time together, but it will be great to see you for another second. (Dressing room talk just isn't enough... sorry!) Talk to you soon!
Oh they do look look delicious!!! I'm sure that they are because you're a very good cook. It was so fun to have my dad honk at you and wave. I bet Mark had no idea who it was or why they were honking at you. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Ooo yummy. I have a book you should read. I can't remember who wrote it, but it's called Anti-Cancer. It's fabulous!
These look scrumptious!! Too bad I hardly ever bake!
Post a Comment